The Sevastopol marine Aquarium – Museum of the Crimea
In 1897, together with the biological station was founded Sevastopol marine Aquarium-Museum. The first building of the biological station has survived. Although, it is known that it was organized on the initiative of A. O. Kovalevskiy and the famous scientist traveler N. N. Miklukho-Maklai in 1871. Headed the Sevastopol biological station of A. O. Kovalevsky – the academician of the Imperial Academy of Sciences. He became its Director. It was A. O. Kovalevsky became the initiator and Builder of the new building of the biological station and marine Aquarium, on the site of the destroyed Nikolaev battery. The author of the project of the building was designed by Alexander Weizen. The station was built in the image and likeness of the biological stations of Naples and Villafranca. Subsequently, the Sevastopol biological station, expanding its efforts to study the flora and fauna of the seas, grew into the Institute of biology of southern seas named Kovalevsky. Also, was established the Prize named after A. O. Kovalevsky. Now This prize is awarded for outstanding achievements in the field of Parasitology and Zoology of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Then it was hall, a quadrangular terraces. It was located seven pristennyh aquariums (total volume – 18 cubic meters). Also, there was a pool of 24 cubic meter of sea water. All the pools were algae and exotic marine fauna. Scientists of the biological station is actively engaged in educational activities. They gave lectures about the flora and fauna of the Black sea. When A. O. Kovalevsky died, his activities continued of the Russian hydrobiologist (father of Hydrobiology), academician Sergey Alekseevich Zernov. In the North-Western Black sea, was opened “pillaporno field of Zernov”. Thanks Tarnovo, organized industrial production of iodine.
1902 was the year of the founding of the Museum of the Sevastopol biological station. In 1912, the building was attached to another room, and the Museum began to expand exposure.
During the first world war, civil war and the great October revolution, the Sevastopol biological station was headed by L. I. Yakubova. She died from a bomb during the second world war.
Since 1928, the Aquarium and the Museum opened. They began to visit sailors, soldiers and students. Even then, the collection of the Museum and station, 15880 numbered copies.
During the second world war, the aquarium was destroyed partially.
After the war, the Sevastopol biological station was headed by doctor of biological Sciences, Professor, member-correspondent of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, honoured activities of science of the USSR, the vodyanitsky Vladimir Alekseevich.
Until 1951, the building of the Sevastopol biological station, aquarium and Museum, was rebuilt and reconstructed. In 1951, the aquarium once again started to attend.
In 1966, were built additional buildings, expanded the main room. Now, the exposition was located in three halls. Central hall, in the form of the polyhedron is contained in one Central pool, with a total area of 150 cubic metres and twelve wall-mounted aquariums.
The other two halls were occupied by the exposition of the Museum.